Pages

Hello!

My name is Thomas David Kavanagh, a photographer that shoots wedding, lifestyle and commercial portraiture. I was born and bred in Dublin, Ireland but have been living in Birmingham, England for the past decade.

I have started a photography business called Saol Photography. Saol (pronounced 'Sail') is the Irish word for 'life'. I chose this as it represents how important photography is to me as well as the type of photographs I want to make.

In this blog I will share details of how my business progresses and also the projects that I am working on. Your views and comments are greatly appreciated. All of the writing and images seen in this blog are created by me and I retain the copyright. Should you wish to use any of my images, please contact me for permission.

Thank you for taking the time to visit,
Tom :-)

Friday 4 March 2011

Wedding Workshop with photographer Steve Gerrard


It's been a hectic few months since Christmas. My day job has had me visiting every country in the British Isles at least twice (I can't complain too much as I've managed to squeeze in a visit to Dublin). And while the people I work with are really nice and friendly, it's hard to be away from my little monster who is becoming all too good at saying "Bye Daddy".

However, the past couple of weeks my feet have been firmly in Birmingham and it's a good thing too because this week I attended a Wedding Photography Workshop with Steve Gerrard. Not the wannabe-DJ/footballer for Liverpool, but an actual DJ turned Photographer based in Birmingham. If you're not familiar with his work take a trip to http://stevegerrardphotography.com/ for some amazing Music, Wedding and Portrait photography.

Thanks to the twitterverse (@tdkavanagh) and little Cullan waking up at 3am, I read about the first Wedding Workshop that Steve had decided to hold and booked myself on immediately. To say I'm grateful is an understatement. I've been so inspired by just looking at his work and got to spend the day hearing how he does it. I held my wee for a stupid amount of time, afraid to miss a thing :-)

I don't know why but I didn't expect to get so much detail and insight, perhaps I'm to used to people guarding their secret way of working like Gandalf had warned them to. The fantastic photographer Emma Case (http://emmacasephotography.blogspot.com/) was also there, impressively signing what Steve was saying for another participant. I've been working in training for what must be seven years now and thought for the first Wedding workshop it was extremely professional. A part of me is jealous of the people attending the next sessions, something that good just gets better and better.

The group I attended with were great aswell, I also learned a lot from talking to them. Now my head is just bursting with ideas and I desperately need to start putting these into action!

The day even included a shoot with Steve and two models who were great, especially given how cold it was in the shade. These pics are the ones I liked the best, if you've already jumped over to Steve's website be gentle, I'm only new ;-)














No comments:

Post a Comment