Pages

Hello!

My name is Thomas David Kavanagh, a photographer that shoots wedding, lifestyle and commercial portraiture. I was born and bred in Dublin, Ireland but have been living in Birmingham, England for the past decade.

I have started a photography business called Saol Photography. Saol (pronounced 'Sail') is the Irish word for 'life'. I chose this as it represents how important photography is to me as well as the type of photographs I want to make.

In this blog I will share details of how my business progresses and also the projects that I am working on. Your views and comments are greatly appreciated. All of the writing and images seen in this blog are created by me and I retain the copyright. Should you wish to use any of my images, please contact me for permission.

Thank you for taking the time to visit,
Tom :-)

Friday 13 April 2012

Radio Ga Ga (Part Two) - Tapping like Fred Astaire

These pictures were an absolute must for me to blog, if anything for the story behind the images. At the TCR FM studio in Tamworth I got to meet a singer/songwriter turned music manager Rebekah Ryan when she came in for an interview with DJ Alex Farrell.




Rebekah gave a refreshingly honest interview about the current music, the bad and good of the industry and her hopes for the artists she manages. As if that wasn't enough she sang KT Tunstall's 'Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" live in the studio, a song I love performed a-mazingly. So amazing in fact that some video footage I managed to make during the performance is completely and utterly useless!?!




Lately, where an opportunity arises I have been experimenting a bit with video. In this case, video was not something I have been commissioned to do, but would be something I'm sure my client would be grateful to receive and a nice bit of experience for me. Many modern DSLRs offer video capture to HD standard and it's amazing how many people (myself included until recently) never make use of it. One of the limitations is that a DSLR camera being so light, there is a lot of movement unless you make or invest in some equipment to stabilise it. But my Spielberg days have not yet arrived so that little expense can wait.

Generally a careful grip brings the movement to an acceptable level. What I hadn't taken into account was how Rebekah's singing would make my right foot tap uncontrollably and the result is some video that looks like it's being shot by someone mid-seizure. End result - epic fail on the video front but at least I got the aforementioned "nice bit of experience". Live and learn :-)

Interestingly, the way the recording worked in the studio I could not hear the music Rebekah was singing along to, so my Fred Astaire foot was purely responding to the vocals. Rebekah has a facebook page you can get to here, which has performance dates etc. for Rebekah and her acts. A very beautiful and talented lady, my foot and I recommend you have a listen.

Tom :-)












No comments:

Post a Comment